Thursday 29 May 2008

Day Two

Nancy Thomas:  Mini Camp

Its official.  Both children have Reactive Attachment Disorder.  Strangely instead of feeling sad, I feel positive.  There is a LOGICAL reason as to why my children behave as they do.  All the times I've seen other parents pull faces at my seemingly inability to parent - they were wrong.  You can't parent a child with RAD as you would a 'normal' child.  Their brains are functioning incorrectly - and I need to re-write the damage that they suffered from being neglected and abused, and that sadly does not happen over night.

Nancy is giving us the tools and support to do this ourselves and we are seeing results.  For the first time I feel we're getting somewhere, and its a great feeling.  Its wonderful to meet other parents facing the same issues too and who knew - but one of the couples there have a child in my children's school!  I did know of other adopted children in the village, but it goes to show - you don't know them all.  We've made good friends with another couple too who live not too far from us and I'm looking forward to meeting up for coffee next week with them.  Except that coffee is now off the menu as 'our' children can't take the caffeine, not that they actually drank coffee, but they LOVE tea.  De-caff tea it is then!

1 comment:

C said...

So glad to find you and read about camp. My husband and I are working our way through Nancy's CD's. Two of our children have RAD.