Sunday 18 May 2008

Nancy Thomas

For those not in the know Nancy Thomas is a wonderful American 'mom' who loves children who seemingly appear to be un-loveable.  We adopted our children back in 2003 after discovering that my endometriosis that I suffered with (note past tense - but thats another post!) had led me to become infertile.  I remembered reading Nancy's book - When love is not enough (NB - if you want to buy it, drop me a line, I know a cheaper supplier than Amazon!), and thinking that our love WOULD be enough.  We'd be the exception.  We'd be able to get these children to feel at home - and seemingly we did.  

We absolutely had problems and issues - who wouldn't when two children join a new home at the age of 5 & 3 - having had 7 & 8 homes previously.  However I guess last September I began to get a sense of dread, a feeling of failure - and one that I've pretty much been able to keep under wraps from everyone.  I mean who wants to admit to being a failure as a mum?  Our wonderful, gorgeous 10 year old daughter is a habitual liar and prolific thief, our loveable cheeky monkey 8 year old son is getting stuck - frozen in time and we can't seem to reach them.  A crisis call to Post Adoption support, a great meeting with the social worker who saw us through our approval and we'd managed to secure therapy for our daughter which started last October.

That same wonderful social worker has also managed to arrange a mini-camp with Nancy Thomas who is travelling over from Colorado, and we are booked on it!!  The camp starts this Wednesday - I haven't a clue what to expect so roll on Wednesday

No comments: