Saturday 9 February 2008

Neglect and Magpies

I've rather neglected my blog this week and that is a shame, its a habit I was just beginning to form nicely. However this week has been a real pressure pot. I'm also on the committee for the local Residents' Association, and we've planned a Beetle Drive for tonight, which somehow or other I seem to have ended up co-ordinating.

I've been thinking hard about my shop too. I never expected I'd have a shop. Whilst I love making things, and find it a joy to make something, I've come to realise that having a shop brings a whole heap of responsibilities.

I can't just make the odd thing here and there and stick it inthe shop and expect it to sell. I have to put real work in and that it has to be consistent. If I went to a local store and they kept promising me something, but didn't deliver, in the end I'd give up and go elsewhere - so why should mine be any different? I've come to realise I have spread myself too thin, I suppose I have Magpie tendancies, I like new things, they always seem shinier. However now almost 4 months into having my shop I'm averaging 5 sales a month, and for the time and effort I'm putting in - thats not great.

I'm going to be taking a break for a while, to think about whether I want to have a shop and if so what do I want it to be.

All I can say is watch this space...

No comments: