Sunday 13 July 2008

Tomorrow is our tenth wedding anniversary. I remember the night before our wedding, possibly more clearly than the day itself. The night before, I was calling the whole thing off. I did change my mind however and we did indeed get married.

We married in the Dominican Republic and a few days prior to flying out my husband to be was telling me his wedding band would be too loose. I believed him but no - he had to demonstrate, so he slipped the ring on and shook his hand furiously... the ring flew off, it then took about 30 minutes of sheepish hunting for him to locate the ring. I then confiscated the ring and said we'd have it re-sized once we were home.

Anyway, Chris occassionally suffers from eczema on his hands and sure enough they flared up a few days before we were due to marry. The night before Chris thought he'd 'try' the ring to see if it would go on - I said not to and that it wouldn't matter, I could always pretend to put the ring on. He didn't listen and pushed the ring on. 

It fitted.

Tightly

AND WOULDN'T COME OFF.

Was I happy - no I was not. I think I threw what can only be described as a diva style strop. I refused to marry him. Chris headed off to the kitchens to try oil, butter, ice - nothing worked. The ring was stuck fast. Eventually I calmed down and agreed to marry him, with the ring already on.

However that almost didn't happen as the Judge was not happy about marrying us with Chris already wearing a wedding band. It took a lot of explaining to the Judge - in Spainish as to why Chris was wearing a wedding ring, and that no this wasn't a bigamous marriage, but that the ring was stuck, until the Judge gave him a big grin and agreed to marry us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that story!