Wednesday 2 April 2008

Shopping, tempers and cake

My car passed its MOT today - phew, always a relief not to have to spend money on it! I also went and did the food shop and feel quite cantankerous now. I'm normally fairly relaxed as I shop. I take the view, I don't have to be in a hurry and so I have time to peruse the shelves (I'm probably your nightmare shopper!). Today I was going to be in a different town and so a different supermarket was required. I'm not a Tesco' girl. I have a complete aversion to them, to the point that I'd rather pay more than give them a penny of my money...

Did I also say I'm a girl to hold a grudge?? Anyway my shopping habits usually involve sifting through recipe books with a cup of tea, followed by a trip to the butchers and then Waitrose via the Farm Shop. However today I wasn't in my usual town. I refuse to go to Tesco's, I didn't want to cross right to the other side of town for Sainsburys, so that left Morrisons. Now I've nothing against Morrisons. Oooo - but some of their customers - sheesh... It started well, with me and an older gentleman seemingly sharing a trolley - until he realised he was very carefully putting his groceries in with mine! We had a good old laugh and I offered to go and sit in the coffee shop whilst he shopped for me - which he gracefully declined. However almost all of the other customers looked completely frazzled, snapping at children (and I'm no Saint Mum either), barging into people without an apology. Grabbing stock when an 'excuse me' would have done, and I guess thats the thing thats riled me most. I appreciate that not everyone has the luxury of time, some may not have slept well etc etc - but does that really mean we can just dispense with manners? Manners cost nothing, and further more whats wrong with smiling?

Anyway for fear of turning this into a tirade I am off to collect my ironing and then bake "Abi's Famous Lemon and Coconut Cloud Cake" and if that doesn't put my world to rights - nothing will!!

No comments: